HKCIN x El Sistema Hong Kong
Transforming Lives Through Music Program
- Our musicians teach the children the violin in the ‘El Sistema’ (systematical) way!
- Emphasis on the joy of learning and playing music together, inspiring children to have a lifelong love of music
- Encouraging them to perform as much as possible, boosting their self-esteem and confidence
- Instilling them with positive thinking, attention to their emotional wellbeing, and self-discipline
- 60 primary one children across 3 schools began a lifelong love of music
- 30+ violin lessons with El Sistema Hong Kong Director Melissa Niño and experienced violinists
El Sistema Hong Kong is a charitable organization devoted to making the world a better place through various initiatives designed to help those in need. Literally translating as ‘The System’, ‘El Sistema’ is a popular method of instruction of individual and collective musical practice originating in Venezuela, bringing hundreds of thousands of children out of poverty in South America. With a presence in over 50 countries, including the US, UK, Japan, Korea, the Philippines, and Hong Kong, El Sistema counts amongst its graduates international musicians such as Gustavo Dudamel (Artistic Director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic), Edicson Ruiz (Bassist of the Berlin Philharmonic), and thousands of musicians around the world.
The Hong Kong chapter provides accessible and free-of-charge music training to people of all ages in difficult social and economic conditions. Currently based out of both Tin Shui Wai and the Western District, ESHK provides classes to over 50 children and senior citizens. With an active board, volunteer administrative team, partner community organizations and a strong network of teachers, ESHK is dedicated to bringing social change through music.